- Exploration using various containers
- Following instructions to create a product
Estimate, measure, and describe the capacity and/or mass of an object, through investigation using non-standard units.Mathematics –
- Measuring cups/spoons, container/mug
- 1-2 cup measuring cup (depending on quantity of popcorn being made)
- Popcorn kernels
- Bowl to hold popped popcorn
- Salt and butter (optional)
- Use measuring cups, mugs or spoons to scoop popcorn kernels into 1 (or 2) cup measure.
- Estimate how many cups or spoonfuls it will take to fill the 1 cup with kernels.
- Practice estimation using a few different measuring tools.
Add visuals to support the cup measures.
Use a visual outline as a non-verbal prompt to the steps.
Once the popcorn has been popped, re-measure the amount to determine the difference in mass.
Let’s make popcorn using popcorn kernels!
First, choose a cup or spoon to measure the kernels.
Estimate how many scoops you will need to fill a 1 cup measure (or variation).
Next, count your ‘scoops’ while filling the 1 cup measure with kernels.
Next, how close were you to your estimate?
Then, choose a different cup or spoon to measure into the 1 cup measure.
Estimate how many scoops you will need to fill the 1 cup?
Then, count your scoops while filling the 1 cup measure with kernels. How close were you to your estimate?
Finally, pop the popcorn and enjoy!
Time to clean up and check your schedule.