- Identifying two-dimensional shapes
- Classifying and sorting two-dimensional shapes according to their attributes
Identify common two-dimensional shapes…sort and classify them by their attributes.Mathematics –
Geometry and Spatial Sense
- Common household objects and furniture
Learner can focus on 1 shape during each activity session.
Learner can show adult each shape by drawing them on a piece of paper.
Learner can create a tally chart and record number of shapes found under each column.
Learner or adult can take a picture on a phone or tablet and trace the shapes in an editing app.
- Prepare drawings or cut out models of basic 2-dimensional shapes; circle, square, rectangle, oval, triangle.
- Wander around the house or backyard to identify 2-dimensional shapes on furniture or other household items.
- Use cut-outs or pictures as cues if needed, for example: a picture frame may be rectangular, and a coat hanger is a triangle shape.
Let’s find shapes in the house!
First, review some basic shapes (rectangle, triangle, circle, oval, square).
Next, choose a shape to look for.
Can you find a triangle?
Next, can you find a square?
Next, can you find a rectangle?
Then, can you find an oval?
Finally, can you find a circle?
You found shapes around the house.
You know how to identify 2D shapes.
Let’s check your schedule.