- Identifying numbers
- Reinforcing the concept of starting and finishing
Read, represent, compare and order whole numbers to 50, using concrete materials.Mathematics –
Number Sense and Numeration
- Cardboard box
- Toy cars
- Scissors/box cutter
- Numbered flashcards between 1-10
- Cut a rectangular shape in the box ( to drive cars into) and write the word finished or use a coloured dot or sticker to indicate finished.
- Draw a starting line on the box.
- Tape numbers on top of the cars from 1-10 using numerals, tally marks or dots.
- Draw lines or tape lines onto the box.
- Place cars on left side of box.
Extension: Learners can follow your instruction by solving math equations that are written on flashcards, corresponding with the answers that are written on the top of cars.
First let’s pick a flashcard and read the number.
Next, find the car that matches that number.
Next, good you found the number ! Next, put the car on the starting line. Next, follow the line and push your car into the hole. Next, choose another flashcard and read the number. Next, find the car that matches that number. Next, good you found the number !
Next, put the car on the starting line.
Next, follow the line and push your car into the hole.
Then, keep going until all the flashcards and cars are gone.
Time to clean up.
You know your numbers from 1- 10 and you matched them!
Let’s check your schedule